Friday, July 22, 2011

Chickens of the Gorge


Ever since I was a kid I can remember seeing chickens on the side of the road in Galston George. At the time I never really understood how they survived in such a remote location, or where they originally came from. Even now 30 years on, I still wonder about the chickens of the Gorge and how they came to be.

Galston George in located in the Northen Suburbs of Sydney along Galston Road between Hornsby Heights and Galston. You can reach the small picnic spot which is the home of the chickens either via Galston Road or if your up for the adventure try the walking tracks that follow the Great North Walk from Hornsby.








Whether you walk or drive you can't really miss the small picnic spot at the bottom of the Gorge. However parking is tight with only a couple of spaces and no other parking options nearby hence why its much more fun to walk in.

There are many stories about how the chickens arrived in the Gorge, with most people believing they had been dumped by local residents. Its hard to know if they come under threat from foxes or other wild animals but some how they survive, possible on the scraps of passing bush walkers.

So if your passing by the area be sure to drop in and say hi to the Galston Gorge chooks.

2 comments:

  1. I remember them! It's a shame they are gone now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son and I stopped by there,no chickens to be seen but my son went down to the creek for a quick cooling dip 25/01/2024

    ReplyDelete